Delta Institute Code of Ethics
As a member of the Delta Institute, I will embrace, endorse and promote the philosophy of the Delta Society Australia, commit to upholding the highest ethical standards and abide by Delta Best Practice document.
I will use exclusively evidence-based, least-harm methods drawn from validated research in the fields of canine behaviour, learning theory and welfare.
I unreservedly reject the use of aversive training methods including raised voices, intimidation, leash corrections, strangling, alpha rolls, physical manipulation, spray bottles, startling noises & movements, hitting or in any other way creating pain, fear or increased stress in dogs.
I will only use and advocate methods that:
Do not cause harm or unnecessary stress to the dog, the owner or others
- Promote the human-animal bond
- provide immediate management to avoid unwanted behaviours and all potentially dangerous behaviours
- Use only positive reinforcement techniques to teach desirable behaviours and redirect existing ones
- Adhere to current best practice guidelines and standards
I will strive to incorporate all aspects of responsible dog ownership into my training programs and include materials that educate clients about their dog’s innate needs and behaviours.
I will not provide clients with a “diagnosis”, “prognosis” or “treatment plan” and will not provide guarantees about specific training outcomes such as assurance that problems will be resolved.
I will maintain the highest professional standard of business practice including:
- Not breaching any applicable local, state or federal laws and regulations at any time
- Maintaining appropriate detailed records for all my work and of clients and their dogs for 7 years
- Respecting client privacy and confidentiality
- Being prepared, punctual, presentable and professional in all my work
- Not making false or misleading statements in relation to methodology in dog training and qualifications
- Refraining from criticising other professionals or associations in public, social media or to our own clients
- Ensuring I hold a current First Aid certificate
I will not represent myself as an official Delta or Delta Institute spokesperson without prior approval of the Delta Board of Directors.
Download a PDF version of the Code of Ethics here